Monday, November 12, 2018

20 Years Ago Paradise Sushi


In 1998, there was a small Asian restaurant in the shopping center where I would later work as a Trader Joe's artist. It was called "Paradise Sushi" and it was truly a bit of paradise. Someone had painted murals of beaches and beach people on the walls and the main table had a shade umbrella over it, even though it was indoors at a window and had no sunlight. I would eat there once or twice a week. I love sushi, a treat I had never known before coming to the DC area. They had other simple Asian dishes as well such as teriyaki chicken and donburi fried pork. I loved this place and I was greatly disappointed when it closed. Its space is still occupied by a restaurant but it has a reputation for being unclean and I have never eaten there. Paradise Lost I guess.

Interior of Paradise Sushi is tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6", November 11, 1998.

No comments: