Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Byzantine Church Stonework


I did a lot of art-historical and costume research for my Byzantine tale. These carved stone church interiors are typical of the period. You can see the Greek designs on the pillars and benches. In the center is a little altar and behind it is the throne where the Bishop would sit as he presided over ceremonies. 

This drawing was saved among my other European sketches from 1975-76 but other than a note that says that the pulpit was in Thessalonika, Greece, there's no information about where the altar chapel was. I didn't visit Thessalonika and have never been there. I think I copied all the items on this page from pictures in a book, probably at the library of the American Academy in Rome.

Pencil on loose sketchbook page, 7" x 10", 1975-76. Click for a larger view.

No comments: