Saturday, August 24, 2019

Corelli Fantasy Debauchery



















As some of you know I am a fan of the late 1800s fantasy author Marie Corelli. Her book ARDATH is a fabulous over-the-top journey into an ancient Middle Eastern world of intrigue, violence, and eroticism. These figures from my Corelli sketchbook of 1975 were drawn free-hand...all that life drawing was good for something. These are some of the debauched young men who go to the Snake Priestess's parties hoping to embrace her before her pet python or drugs finish them off. I have a trove of Corelli work dating back to the early 1970s. I'll be showing some of it off as my next blogification theme. I haven't drawn a new one in years and if I pulled the 1889 volume off my shelf the book would disintegrate into dust. Most of what you will see is digitized repeat work.

Pencil on sketchbook page, 5" x 9", 1975.

No comments: