Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Re-enactors memories


The folks on the right side are, or were, good friends of mine from the science fiction and fantasy community. Their interests were wide-ranging, so much I can't begin to list them. I used to visit them often and we would talk about theology, comic books, esotericism, history, and historical re-enactment. At the top was Jim, the husband, whose genealogical research went all the way to the Middle Ages. They had a constantly changing roster of cats who were mostly friendly. Center lower is the re-enactor herself, Sharon, who passed away recently. She used to tell me stories  about re-enacting Civil War skirmishes in Massachusetts, in the role of a Confederate cavalry officer, which I bet went real well in that state. She's dressed here in part of her old uniform. She didn't re-enact in the real South, one reason being that women were not allowed to play cross-dressed. The young man on lower right is Brian, their son, who loved trains - hence the engineer's cap. On upper left was a tiny logo, inspired by the designs of Picasso, which I drew from a Grateful Dead song, "Picasso Moon."

As I said earlier, Sharon died this fall and I will remember this fascinating if eccentric family as long as I live.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 6" x 9", May 9, 1991.

No comments: