Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Cult Burns Up in Waco 1993


Do you remember the moment when the cult compound of Mormon madman David Koresh went up in flames? I sure do, even though it's 27 years ago. I was home with my parents on one of my innumerable visits and we were in the den room watching this unfold live on TV. It was one of many apocalyptic happenings that I experienced from the screen of their TV, especially in 2001 with the terrorist attacks and the fall of the towers.

The TV (in a somewhat blurred copy of the faded original art) dominates the den, which I depict viewing across a round table covered with knick-knacks: Decorative bowls, papers, a tiny figure of a tennis player at left. The cross at the upper right is actually a winter-adapted big window pane.

This 1990s sketchbook is rather age-deteriorated and its paper has faded to grey, but the drawings are still good. Everything you see on this drawing is gone now.

Brown ink on sketchbook page, 6" x 8", April 19, 1993.

No comments: