Monday, December 31, 2018

Joe Rollino's Terrace


My parents and I spent the summer of 1969 in Europe, including a month in Rome. We were privileged to stay that month in a large apartment in a hilly suburb. The flat belonged to a concert pianist, Joseph Rollino, and while he was absent teaching, touring, and performing, he lent us the use of his otherwise empty dwelling. In the hot, dry summer of central Italy, most Italians of any means left their homes for cooler vacation places. I remember our weeks there in the (non-airconditioned) borrowed home. We had nothing much to do; the attractions and antiquities were filled with tourists baking in the sun. I remember spending time reading and listening to the radio. In the evening we would go out to eat at a local restaurant, "Bruno's," and feast on beefsteak, risotto, and pizza. I had some art materials with me, and I painted a few pictures while I was there. This is a portrait of Joe R's terrace. You can see that even back then I depicted a lot of leisurely terrace furniture (No wineglass though.). Note the TV antennas above the privacy fence.

Watercolor on watercolor paper, 6 3/4" x 9", summer 1969.

No comments: