Thursday, November 19, 2020

Roman Atlas Telamon

 


As I have said before, when I was living in Rome in 1975-76 I used to sketch on the sidewalks. Rome was so full of interesting architecture I could never get tired of it. Buildings were full of details that you might only see if you walked close to them. This is an ancient Roman sculpture known as a "Telamon." It is a mythical fantasy figure: a brawny guy holding up the building at its cornerstone. "Telamon" means "bearer." He's like Atlas but he's not holding the whole Earth, just a building. You can't see his face because thousands of years have worn it away. This was incorporated into a more recent structure. I got a chance to draw it despite the traffic on the busy street.

Pencil on sketchbook page, 6 1/2" x 9", 1975.

No comments: