Friday, December 19, 2008

Iconic Googie Doo Wop Style


I'm doing concept sketches (in Adobe Illustrator) for re-decorating my Trader Joe's. This storewide re-do will start after the holiday busy-ness is over, when we have some time to do big projects. The style I've chosen is known by many names, such as "Googie" in the West, "doo-wop" in New Jersey, and also "Populuxe" or "Streamlined." It was popular in the late 50s and early to mid-60s, along with cars adorned with fins and chrome, shiny diners, and drive-in movies. This iconic style brings a playful, colorful look to....

...Did I just say "iconic?" Good grief! I've proved my own point! What point? That if you read any article written this year that is longer than two paragraphs, you will find the word "iconic" used somewhere. All right, not in an article about nuclear physics (the "iconic" main building at Fermilab) or classical music (the "iconic" Herbert Von Karajan) and I am no statistician. But play along. Pick any article written for a popular print medium and see how long it takes for the writer to use "iconic." Every time you see the word "iconic," take a drink. You'll be merry and bright in no time.



2 comments:

emikk said...

I feel like dancing to an iconic beat.

jewelry boxavenue said...

That was a great post about personal blogs. I like the idea of explaining all the things clearly and in really a very well formatted way. This blog inspired me very much. Thanks for sharing!

Regards:

wood jewelry boxes