Sunday, December 7, 2008

Snow Moon




It's that time of year again, and we in the Washington DC area had our first snow. It was so poetic, especially the grumbling and cursing part. I continue to wallow in my old artistic efforts which I am shoving around in the dust. I haven't done anything new in more than a week, other than the restaurant decorations, which are now installed and have earned me four gourmet dinners. I did this picture above, in 1980. The hazy moon through high clouds, a sure sign of snow to come, was done with my big new art tool of the time, a Paasche airbrush. It may have been the very first time I used the airbrush on a painting. I still have the simple air compressor engine and a couple of different airbrush painting guns, and it all still works. Ink and gouache airbrush spray on dark blue paper, mounted on black matboard, about 8" x 10".


2 comments:

Mike (Altus) said...

Very nice. You captured the look and feel perfectly. Airbrush artwork astounds me, in that the artist must have such a steady hand. Especially in this case with all that fine detail in the branches. Impressive.

Pyracantha said...

Thanks for your comments, guys.
Michael, I was unclear in my description of media. The lines of the tree branches were done in pen and ink. Only the moon was done in airbrush. So, not that astounding.