Friday, December 5, 2008

Roman Rooflines




At least when it comes to drawing architecture, I'm no better now than I was in 1976, when I did this study of Roman rooflines and an adjacent church facade. I don't know whether that gives me comfort or annoys me. If I were to go back to that same spot and draw the same subject, it would probably come out just the same. In America I don't usually have wonderful Italianate decorative cornices to draw, just porches with white railings, but I still want to draw architecture. Maybe I really should have been an architect. I would have ended up remodeling people's garages and building boring office buildings (at best) but at least I would be something respectable rather than a signmaker advertising vegetables. Architects still get respect despite the excesses of real and fictional architects. I would love to go back to Rome. 

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

Lordy, I love your art.