Sunday, August 23, 2020

Baltimore Barbarienne

 


My favorite part of conventions was the costuming. I am a costumer myself though I don't wear them. That's because I don't have any sewing or sculpture skills. But I can design costumes, which I love to do. I didn't design this one. The costume is that of "Red Sonja," a famous swordswoman who wore a chain scale bikini and could beat any man at swordsmanship. The person wearing the outfit is Terri Wells, who published essays and criticism in a private magazine I once edited. She 's got the scale mail, the obligatory high boots, and a black cape to confound her enemies, as well as red hair, because all bad-ass women have red hair, Uh huh. And glasses. A barbarian swordswoman can wear glasses.

Black ink and colored pencils on sketchbook page, 3" x 6", August 8, 1998.

No comments: