Monday, August 17, 2020

Evie Well-Dressed

 


This well-dressed young lady is Evie Michaels, and she's showing off her 19th century accomplishment at CostumeCon 2009. CostumeCon is my favorite convention for drawing and visuals because it is devoted entirely to costuming and the costumer's craft. It is in a different city each year and this one was in the Baltimore area. I've attended a few of them and this one, in May, gave me a panorama of costumes and garb to sketch. I didn't dress up myself but I have designed numerous get-ups some of which were made and shown at various conventions. Another good thing about CostumeCon is that the wearers are eager to pose for me and show off their work while the artist draws. I don't know whether the current conditions will be good or bad for the costumers but it would be interesting to have virtual costume shows that everyone could see as well as close-up presentation of workmanship. The only major thing that would be missing would be texture and touch. No one has yet done their costume in 3-D holograms.

Ink and colored pencils on sketchbook page, about 4" x 6 1/2", May 5, 2009.

No comments: