Sunday, September 28, 2008

Iconic Cappuccino



Have you noticed the number one buzzword for 2008? It is "Iconic." You cannot read an article without encountering this word. Journalists love it the way they love "A Perfect Storm." Iconic images, movie stars, buildings, products, ads, computers, logos, and, uh, icons. Here's something iconic for you. This is a sign that I just produced for a local pastry and coffee shop, Natalia's Elegant Creations. It will go in the windows of the shop, right under the gold brocade curtain swags. They served me a perfect storm of a cappuccino, so that I could capture its iconic quality in this sign. The sign is painted with spray paint, acrylic, and acrylic markers, and is about 6 feet long by 2 ft high.

When I brought it in, I found to my dismay that the window I was to put it in was 8 inches less wide than the sign. I had neglected to properly measure the window. Now I will have to carefully remove about 8 inches of the sign, without cutting too much into the design. Therefore "iconic" will become merely "conic," after I selflessly remove the "I." 

No comments: