Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Unfold and sit down


As you know from my winery artwork, I like to work on-site right in front of what I'm drawing. I've done countless sketches of buildings or construction machinery or other things which are outdoors. And most of the time I need something to sit on so I can hold my sketchbook to draw on. I've never been good at just holding a sketchbook in my hand and drawing while standing up. So I have had and used a succession of camping stools light and convenient enough to place where I can sit, and see my subject. Otherwise I am stuck with sitting on  whatever is in the environment like a stairway or some other unsavory surface. I had a tiny lightweight camp seat in Rome when I drew the images you've seen here, but I had to abandon it when I left. In America I've used fold-open metal frames with a fraying nylon seat, or a little tripod from a travel supply company, or L.L. Bean's heavy wooden Adirondack, which I still use indoors. I even had a portfolio with wheels and a fold-down seat, which was a great idea until I sat on it for any length of time, which was unduly painful.

So when I saw this contraption in the delightful J.Peterman catalogue, which deserves a post of its very own, I saw the glory of the camp stool brought to its British greatness. After all, J. Peterman says that Prince Charles himself uses this chair when he is painting watercolors outdoors. So I paid the king's ransom for the "Out 'n' About" travel chair, depicted above in a partially unfolded state. And...how is it? I feel royally comforted sitting in this throne, and my artistic butt so far approves of the tough canvas seat. I haven't brought it outdoors yet, since I just got it. Sketch trials will follow. 

In a pleasant surprise, this item was NOT made in China. It is said to be made in the U.K. This is not one of those dinky fold-out chairs with a cup holder and the logo of your favorite football team. This is English gentleman equipment. You can fold it up into a cylinder with handles at the top and use it as a brace or a cane. Or you can carry it like a photographer's tripod, though I wonder whether people who see it rolled up might think it's a weapon.

Drawing of chair is black tech pen on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 6", August 22, 2017.

2 comments:

Texchanchan said...

Like it! Wish I had a few for my living room. I have the dinky fold-out kind only not with team logos on them.

Daisy Goddard said...

Too many details in it, thank you for sharing this amazingly different art with us.
cheap airport parking
compare gatwick parking