Friday, September 20, 2019

The Lights of Isabel 2003


On September 18, 2003, a violent tropical storm named "Isabel" plowed into the DC area, in almost a direct hit. I remember watching through the night with astonished horror as the high winds destroyed the power lines in my neighborhood. Transformers were exploding in eerie flashes of multicolored light. All electric power was knocked out and we had to light our way around the house with candlelight. Futuristic suburbs were returned to the nineteenth century (except for the horses).

I found all my candles and tea lights and stuck them in glass and ceramic votive containers, as you see above. Candlelight is rather genteel but I couldn't see to write or to make art (this one was done by daylight) and radio and TV were inaccessible so I had to resort to reading where I could set up a big candle.

This area is still subject to destructive storms and we never know when some weather mess will swerve into us. I am well stocked with batteries and LED battery lights just in case. The light from LED's isn't so poetic but it does the job.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 7" x 4", September 19, 2003.

No comments: