Sunday, January 10, 2021

Dining at the Wursthaus Cambridge 1984

 


The "Wursthaus" restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts was my favorite restaurant in that area. It was directly located in Harvard Square. They served heavy, filling German-style fare including different styles of sausages and beans and sauerbraten. They also had a beer list with dozens of different brands and types but often the beer you asked for was unavailable. Academic and creative celebrities dined there as well as the parents of Harvard students. As with many famous restaurants, signed photos decorate the walls.

I drew this while sitting in the Wursthaus with some people I can't easily identify. After all, it was 37 years ago. I thought the boyish figure in the left center was Sam as a boy but it's dated 1984 and he was only a baby then, too young to drink beer. I think that is his mother. Sam's father faces away from us.

The Wursthaus closed in 1996 due to changing tastes and lack of income. According to newer sources there is a brewpub there now. The world is so changed now that I crave bratwurst and beans. Beans and wursts someday soon.

Black tech pen, 5" x 8", November 4, 1984.

No comments: