Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Pool Deconstruction


As the hiatus in civilization as we know it continues, the apartment complex I live in has been re-doing its swimming pool, which was wrecked after a couple of unfortunate floods. This is not the only time the pool has been renovated. They have to chip the white water plaster off the walls, bit by bit, and then re-plaster the whole thing. This time they are adding more waterproof decorative concrete bits. This noisy process has already been going on for about three months and I doubt whether they will be able to complete it before summer arrives at the solstice. Since I don't use the pool and am not a swimmer, it is irrelevant to me except for the unfortunate situation that the site is directly under my window and I hear and see everything that goes on in there. The truck arrives and chatty workers emerge with their power tools at 9 AM, which to me is like 3 AM to you. Chipping off the entire surface of the old pool with small jackhammers took them ages. And the process filled the atmosphere with cement and plaster dust. I already have to wear a mask when I go outside and now I am tempted to wear it inside. There is dust everywhere. One of the few interesting features of this whole thing is that I get to draw construction equipment and trucks in my sketchbook. My renderings of these complex shapes quickly become abstractified, as you see here.

The trouble with all this effort is that this site is at the bottom of a ravine (a hollow in the land) which fills with water during heavy rains. And Pimmit Run is a stream which runs through a  tunnel under the pool. Which means that if there's a big rainfall for many days this water system will flood again. I suspect that this project is designated as "make-work" in order to keep these workers employed.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 4" x 4 1/2", June 6, 2020.

1 comment:

Michael said...


I am very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr Okosun a great herbal doctor who help me enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal mixture, my girlfriend is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you you are also in need of help on how to enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger I advice you to contact Dr Okosun on his email (drokosun12@gmail.com )or contact him on whatsapp number +2348136785562, if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within two weeks i recommend Dr Okosun just feel like promoting his Good work, Give him a try and thank me later.