Thursday, May 21, 2015

Industrial Patterns 7: Fabulous Belgians


I have been surrounding myself with images from my favorite artists, not only the snowy Swede Stalenhag but the steampunk art-nouveau stylings of the awesome Francois Schuiten. Schuiten, along with his writer collaborator Benoit Peeters has created the "Obscure World," an imaginary universe parallel to our own, where occasionally people or things pass through portals from one world to another. Schuiten's work is incredibly designed with gravity-defying perspectives and psychedelic scenarios, all set at what might be the turn of the 20th century, in the 1890s. Schuiten is yet another wonderful European artist whose works I follow, along the lines of the famous "Moebius," the Italian Vittorio Giardino, and the duo Adamov and Cothias, authors of the horrific but beautiful "Waters of Deadmoon." They are all drawn in the "clear line" style of European comics, but the content is not cartoony or manga-like at all. If I ever get back to doing graphic story this is the style I practice, along with industrial fantasies of steel mills and oil refineries and other cosmic metallic altars.

Brown ink on sketchbook page, 3 3/4" x 4 1/4", May 20, 2015.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

WOW! The guy who you had a link to his art was amazing! I had never seen his work before. I will have to see if I can find more. I can see why you like it!