Friday, November 10, 2017

Ron Miller's Pavilion

On my way back from my southern tour I visited the home of artist Ron Miller and his wife Judith. They lived on a very remote patch of Virginia bay shore near Fredericksburg. It took me two and a half hours blundering around on forest roads to get to their home. Once there, though, it was a beautiful idyllic place where I enjoyed a truly peaceful stay. Despite the remoteness they had delicious food and their main house was full of books and career materials from Ron's work. Ron Miller is in my opinion America's greatest living space artist and he showed me some of his ongoing work in his digital studio. All his art is done on the computer which is an inspiration to me who still uses a tech pen and colored pencil. This building is the "Pavilion," a screened cabin where Ron and Judith enjoyed cooling breezes and nice dinners in the summer. To the right is a drawing of Ron's "Hugo" rocket trophy and his elderly cat, "Wally." Ron and Judith don't live here any more; they moved to an equally idyllic but landlocked place in south central Virginia.

Tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 4 1/2", July 6, 2003.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

Now I have to look up his space art.