Friday, July 27, 2018

Care Home front porch


After my hospital stay I was moved to a rehabilitation facility near my home, hidden away in a leafy, affluent urban area. The intention was to help me recover from my operation and consequences but like many others I found it stressful. The facility was lovely, the staff was skilled and caring, and the food was excellent. My problem was the inmates who were suffering from many levels of dementia or chronic illness and often caused disturbances. I won't describe any of these in detail. I consoled myself by sitting out on their small front porch and gazing into their landscaping which was lush and green and habitat to many birds and woodland creatures such as squirrels and chipmunks. I drew a number of small pictures in my sketchbook. This one shows one real bird box (to the left) inhabited by a House Wren, and one imitation bird feeder (no seeds due to risk of rats) in front. I spent more than three weeks in this place.

Black gel pen ink on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 4", July 16, 2016.

No comments: