Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Marie Corelli's Emerald Pillars


You've seen a lot from me illustrating the early 20th century fantasy author Marie Corelli (1860-1925). Here's another one. This depicts the emerald pillars that lined the lavish throne room of Lysia the snake-priestess, whom you may have seen a few postings ago. Corelli describes this throne room as being a combination of Roman and Babylonian, probably inspired by historical fantasy films such as D.W. Griffith's "Intolerance" as well as opera and theater productions all over Europe and Britain. Corelli's architectural fantasies thrilled me and I couldn't get enough of it. I even chose to bring my Corelli book and art stuff to Rome with me (where I would be spending 1975-76 on a fellowship grant) so I could be inspired by imperial Roman buildings and decorations. At the American Academy in Rome I discussed Corelli's throne room with an architect. Corelli's pillars were supposedly made from transparent glass or emerald, and yet managed to bear the weight of the roof. The architect said that glass, let alone emerald, could not bear weight so I would have to fake it by putting the real weight-bearing wall behind the pillars which were independent of the structure and thus bore no weight at all. The whole structure was based on the Pantheon in Rome, designed by the architect emperor Hadrian. 

Green ink and watercolor on sketchbook page, 4" x 5", April 1974.

No comments: