Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Tut-ankh-amon's Designs


When I went to Rome and other parts of Europe on my fellowship year 1975-1976, I also went to Egypt. There were some Egyptian scenes and people in the book I was writing so I was justified in going there. I stayed mostly in Cairo and of course I visited the Egyptian Museum where the treasure of King Tut-ankh-Amon was on display. These drawings were done right there at the museum where I concentrated on design examples with my notes about color. My medium, pencil, was unusual as I usually drew in ink. On my travels for some reason I had a sheaf of unbound papers as my sketchbook rather than the spiral-bound kind. I did a lot of drawings in the museum. Most of them are somewhat faded but I think you can see what I was sketching. 

Pencil on sketchbook sheet, 7 1/2" x 11", August 1975. Click on image for larger view.

No comments: