Saturday, October 6, 2018

Red October


I have a tiny kit of colored pencils in a plastic holder. They are made by Crayola for kids and these pencils are not more than 4 inches long. I have had this set for years but have only rarely used it because it doesn't have enough landscape colors of blue, gray, or green. It has a lot of bright colors of pink and purple and orange to attract kids. I decided to take this set out with me to a favorite coffeeshop for sketching. Fall leaves was my theme so I could take advantage of all these bright colors. It isn't bright leaf time here yet but I like using autumn red as the main color. The star-shaped leaf in the center is from a yellow poplar. I think I can borrow some pencils from my other collections and use the less fancy ones by cutting them in half to fit the spaces in the kit box. This plastic box of mini pencils is no longer available but you can get the same pencil set full size from Crayola, 100 colors for children or yourself.

"Red October" is colored pencil on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 4", October 5, 2018.

No comments: