Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Endless World Series Game


As some of you know, I am a baseball fanatic, and a lifetime supporter of the Boston Red Sox. This year, they are in the World Series again, that is, the championship series of American baseball (with an international roster). They used to never be in the World Series, losing in creative and sometimes spectacular ways. The legend was that the Boston team was cursed, and could never win it all. But in 2004 some power of light and rational magic finally released the Sox from the curse and they won the World Series in 2004. They went on to win again in 2007 and 2013, and now they are playing in 2018. The Series is 7 games long and whoever wins 4 of these games is the champion. Currently the Crimson Hose are leading in games 2 to 1. They are playing the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tonight and today's game was a World Series record-breaker. The game, usually 2 to 3 hours, went well over 7 hours and was only ended by a member of the Dodgers launching a baseball into low earth orbit. With both teams exhausted by the effort, the final outcome is uncertain.

I did this drawing while watching the game on my mid-90s vintage SONY TV set, a massive chunk of ancient electronics which still works fine. Behind the TV is a large round plate of pretty blue glass. The picture also contains images of my music tapes and records. The words are my notes on what was being advertised during the game. I don't know what "Jalisco" is, maybe a brand of tequila?  The ads are a portrait of middle-class Americana and I find it interesting that the types of people in the ads are much more diverse than the ads I knew during my youth. The next game is later today and I hope these young men have enough energy to play again.

Sepia brown tech pen on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", October 27, 2018.

No comments: