Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Conference Attendees


The "Order of Saint Michael," an ecumenical, mystical Christian group I belong to, holds its annual meeting some time in July. I just got back, avoiding the floods and torrents which recently drenched my destination. There are only about 30 people in the Order, and 13 of them, counting me, attended the conference. The site is a modest residence hall with immaculately kept amenities and communal meals. The retreat site is surrounded by forest and gardens and trees and landscaping full of birds, which I reverently follow with my binoculars. This year I saw a family of Eastern Bluebirds, always to me a symbol of courage and perseverance.

This drawing depicts two of the attendees in a well-furnished conference room. Some of the things that were discussed were the meaning of faith in a faith-less world, shamanistic inner journeys, and virtual reality as a prayer technique. In the evening after dinner we held a candle-lit prayer service accompanied by recorded acoustic/ambient music.

Sepia brown ink on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 6". July 6, 2019.

No comments: