Sunday, November 17, 2019

Colorforms 16: Cybernetic Ceremony


Sure, this abstract assemblage looks easy. All I had to do is put the shapes and colors wherever I wanted. The typical uneducated response is, "My kid can do that." It's Modern Art, you can fake it, right. Well not to underestimate children, they have a good time with abstraction if you let them play around with it. This panel took more than an hour to do, using the limited design options of the Colorforms game. Each shape was carefully chosen and I used Photoshop tricks to place it exactly where I wanted it. Even so I will admit that this is a doodle constrained by a limited amount of time and energy.

I will never forget my encounter with the original Colorforms kit of black background and colored plastic temporary sticker shapes. I was an arty child from an arty family and went wild over them but I've never had the opportunity to play with it. The first form set is still available and is just as expensive as the original 1950's version.

Photoshop, 5" x 5", November 17, 2019.

No comments: