Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Cambridge House August 1994

 


This house was on the same block I lived on, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was just a street away from Harvard Divinity School, where one learned to be divine. The neighborhood was filled with houses like this, built in the last years of the nineteenth century and now in need of a lot of repair. Many of them have been transformed or re-built, with one rule, that you can't change the exterior. And I agree with that. I love the bay window and the noble portico sheltering the doorway. My 1994 journal reports that I was visiting Cambridge to see friends and drew this sketch sometime during the day. I made countless drawings of this old architecture, which style has mostly been obliterated here in Metro DC.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 5 1/2", August 10, 1994.

No comments: