Sunday, September 13, 2020

Little House in Summer 1998

 


A month or so ago I showed you my 1998 sketch of this Little House in winter, so here it is again in summer. I drew it during one of my endless series of trips to Massachusetts to visit my folks. By 1998 most of the back yard was overgrown except for some flowers that my father had planted. The red ones are cannas and the pink ones are Cleome or "spider flower," known for exploding its ripe seeds at you if you touch it.

During my youth and early teen years I spent a lot of time in this shed, and even slept there once or twice although there were no sanitary facilities and I had to go back into the main house to take care of business. Still, the time spent in the Little House as well as our family vacations in our Volkswagen camping bus has left with me a lifelong fascination with cabins, mini-RV's, and tiny shelters of all kinds.

Brown ink and colored pencil on sketchbook page, 8" x 5," August 19, 1998. 

No comments: