Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Volcano Angels


In 1998, I came across the volcano web-cam at Mount Etna, in Sicily. In those pre-millennial days a web-cam was something new and astonishing, and even more astonishing were the visuals that this camera conveyed to me. Mount Etna is continually active and the camera was focused on the summit craters, which regularly erupted with spectacular blasts of flame and lava. I was able to save hundreds of volcanic eruption pictures, and I renewed my fascination, or perhaps at that time obsession with volcanoes. At one point, Etna had a regular schedule of erupting every weekend. I called it the "Saturday Night Volcano." I did a number of volcano pictures during that time including this one, which features angels dancing around an eruption of Etna. The angels are accented with glow-in-the-dark paint. This picture sold for only $21 at DarkoverCon in 1998. In the early 2000s, the Etna-cam was destroyed by an eruption. Subsequent web-cams were replaced at safer, but less exciting distances from the flaming craters.

"Angels at the Eruption" is mixed media (and glow-in-the-dark paint) on black paper, 7" x 10", November 1998. 

No comments: