Sunday, June 29, 2014

C.J. Cherryh's "Downbelow Station"


Science fiction author C.J. Cherryh commissioned me to illustrate a scene from her book DOWNBELOW STATION with her main character Signy Mallory in a prominent place.
I chose a scene at the beginning of the book where Mallory must keep order as a ship full of dying refugees docks at the station. The faces of Mallory and the accompanying
stationmaster were taken from a still from the film STROMBOLI starring Ingrid Bergman. Bergman's face was modified slightly to look like Cherryh.

This painting was exhibited at Boskone 1982 and there won the "Guest of Honor's Choice" award, one of the few professional awards I have ever gotten. The Guest of Honor was
Donald Wollheim, C.J. Cherryh's publisher.

"Downbelow" is acrylic on Masonite board, 15" x 10", February 1982. Click for larger view.

4 comments:

Mike (Altus) said...

Wow, this is a great piece. I also like how you hid your signature in plain view.

Tristan Alexander said...

And another great people picture! The faces are so real and individual as well as the background being so real looking!!

Foreverman said...

I like your Mallory. When I read the book, I imagined Meryl Streep in the role, though it's a departure from her usual. Dress her in black leather, with whitish hair (like you depicted) and she would absolutely own that role.

Jaycee said...

I love this art and thank you for painting it. A scene from my favorite science fiction book of all time! Any chance you would do other art from Downbelow Station? Maybe a picture of ECS5 Norway? Or Mazian confroting Mallory:

"We go back a long way, Mallory. You've always been a bloody handed tyrant, That's the name you've gotten. You know that."
"That's quite possible," she says.
"Shot some of your own troops at Eridu. Ordered one unit to fire on another."
"*Norway* has its standards".

Ahhh, I wish...