Monday, June 23, 2014

Flowers of June


Every two weeks I design and implement a series of at-register advertising signs for Trader Joe's. These goods, located as "impulse buys" as the customer waits for her/his turn at the register, are usually snacky, crunchy things because they won't deteriorate on the shelf. This week, for instance, will feature sunflower seeds, mango gummy candies, five-seed almond bars, and the indulgent milk chocolate-covered potato chips, among others. My sign borders correspond with the season or some current holiday. This one has the "Flowers of June," orange daylily and blue hydrangea, in my favorite colors. I leave the center empty because that's where the writing goes. The blue hydrangeas are also sold in the flower and plant display in the store. I am not ashamed to call myself a commercial artist.

Markers and colored pencil on white card stock, 7" x 5", June 22, 2014.

No comments: