Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sisyphus does the laundry



You'd think that since there's only one of me, the laundry wouldn't be a problem and would accumulate slowly. But this isn't the case. I now have 5 loads of laundry to do and the bags are sitting there unwashed. I have to take the big sacks of laundry down 3 flights of stairs to get to the laundry room and then haul them back up when they are clean. That isn't exactly a hardship, but the weight does mount up. I wear mostly cotton clothing and though it's soft and easy to wear, it's heavy. I can do loads of laundry and within a week, there it is again needing to be washed. My little doodle here represents Sisyphus, the Greek mythic character who rolled a rock up a hill for eons, only to see it fall back down again. Doing the laundry is a Sisyphean task where you carry the load rather than rolling a rock. If I were really rich, the first thing I would buy would be laundry service, thus shifting Sisyphus to some other well-paid-for mythic toil.

Ink on sketchbook page, 3" x 4", October 15, 2014.

No comments: