Thursday, October 9, 2014

Twilight Hills


I did a lot of traveling in 2003, all of it American road trips. I had my sketchbooks and colored pencils with me at all times. I usually stayed in motels, which were conveniently situated outside cities and towns and which had nice views. The view you see here is done from the "Alpine Motel," in Abingdon, Virginia, which is almost on the Tennessee border. Amazingly, the Alpine still exists and gets positive reviews from customers. 

The wooded hillsides are golden in evening sunlight. I tried to get that color of the moment and I sort of succeeded, perhaps watercolor might do better but I am not daring enough to work like the "Urban Sketchers" and do watercolors right on site. Also, 2003 is before I discovered Wineworld and I now expect to depict vineyards on my travels. Note the empty silhouette of a planting, conveniently labeled "Bush." This is not a political statement.

Ink and colored pencil on sketchbook page, 10" x 6", June 2003.

No comments: