Tuesday, October 24, 2017

"Blue Thoroughfare" larger version


This picture, called "Blue Thoroughfare," depicts a bunch of asteroids surrounding a "dwarf planet" with nebulas in the background. I did a small version first as a sketch, and then completed this one some weeks later. It's painted with airbrush spray paint, and then with hand-done acrylic with a brush. When I first migrated to the Metro DC area, I thought that I might break into the "fine" art gallery type of art career, using my space and geometric pictures. I joined the "Art League" in Alexandria, Virginia and submitted this one, with another nebula picture in light blue the same size, to a juried show there. The jury rejected both my pieces and when I saw what they did choose, I realized that they just didn't like this type of space art. Evidently not many other folk did either. I showed it at a science fiction convention where it would seem to be right at home, and someone bought it for a much lower price than it deserved. The airbrush is gone, replaced by spaceworthy Photoshop.

Claudia: Thanks for your nice words about my little golden autumn piece. I like to show my art whether it is in a gallery or a high school art room.

"Blue Thoroughfare" is acrylic on black illustration board, 16" x 20", February 1990.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

Nice piece of work. I'm a sucker for space pictures and this is a good one. I read what you said about the earlier version and the lined up asteroids. Thinking... maybe some sort of magnetic field... or the wake of a starship... yeah, I like that idea.