Friday, October 27, 2017

The Great Athena of Nashville


On my road trip to the American South I visited Nashville, Tennessee. I have friends in the city who were happy to take me around and show me the sights (and feed me the cuisine!). The most spectacular sight I viewed there was this giant statue of the Greek goddess Athena, holding Nike, spirit of victory, in her hand. The making of this statue, inside a replica of the Parthenon temple, is written about here, and it is quite a wonder. I had enough time and space inside the temple to draw a sketch of this awesome icon. There was a park around the temple, and in the park was a little food stand serving some very good Tennessee barbecue. 

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, about 9" x 8", June 26, 2003.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

I've seen it. My impression was very different from yours. But I grew up with the Parthenon being a great empty space. It's close to the county health department, where in Metro Nashville-Davidson County all the kids went to get their shots. So, after we went through the ordeal, my mom would take us to Centennial Park and the Parthenon and the train engine. At that time you could climb up into the train cab and sit in the engineer's seat and work the levers. A steam locomotive's controls are very simple. I hope you got to see the train too.