Monday, March 5, 2018

Suggestive Candle

Yes, that's what it looks like, uh huh. But it's only a candle. When the power goes out, we're all returned to the 19th century, running on candles, oil lamps, or anbaric-powered biocrystalline upper-echelon lanterns. Wait, what was that last bit of Steampunk? When the power goes out, you light a candle, which transforms from a bit of retro dinner table charm in a ceramic dish to a necessity in a darkened household. One of my candles looks more suggestive and dildo-ic than the others so I'll light that first so as to cause a meltdown for modesty. I don't think anyone wants a flaming dildo let alone a flaming male organ. But in fact I know that such items are sold behind the counter in botanicas (Latino magic and herb shops). I used to frequent a botanica which was next to my hair salon. One day (with no prompting from me!) they showed me their offerings of wax genitalia, formed into candles. The idea is that if you burned the pink penis candle or the red vagina candle, you'd have luck and success in your quest for, uh, satisfaction. The candle depicted here started out as a simple fragrant cylinder. If I burn it for enough time, its magic will droop and dissolve back into a wax puddle and I won't worry about "alternate lighting options" until the next power outage.

Marker inks on sketchbook page, colored in Photoshop, 3 1/2" x 4", March 4, 2018.

No comments: