Wednesday, August 8, 2018

"Charis" character portrait 1975


Here's another character portrait from my Byzantine adventure story from 1975. It is in my sketchbook journal from my Brandeis days and the journaling on the page describes my classes, friends, food, music, etc. This journal is so well-illustrated, I am amazed that I was able to add so many images to it, and elaborate good ones, too! This character, "Charis," was either the mistress of a nobleman or a noblewoman herself. The story took place around 400 A.D. and the shiny silk fashions she wears are typical of a woman of high rank in that era. I based Charis on my fellow Brandeis student Karen. I lost contact with Karen after a few years and I have always wondered what became of her. How could I have made so many highly detailed small illustrations while holding down a whole set of college classes? Maybe because I wasn't wasting my time staring at the Facebook feed for hours? But I had a TV in my room and went out with friends, so all I can say is those were the days.

Ink and watercolor on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 8", February 1975.

No comments: