Friday, August 24, 2018

The Mile-Long Spaceship


This is the kind of painting I used to exhibit at science fiction conventions. They didn't have a particular theme nor were they illustrating a specific book or scene. The title of this one did repeat a famous science fiction story title by Kate Wilhelm, but had nothing to do with the story. I used "old tech" as material for my spaceships; this one is based on a coal hopper from the mid-20th century. The style is influenced by science fiction artist Vincent di Fate.  

I was hoping that editors and art directors would notice my science fiction and fantasy art in the convention art shows and hire me to do book covers and other illustrations, but it never really happened, which eventually persuaded me to try another more "fine-art" style.

"The Mile-long Spaceship" is acrylic with airbrushed background, 15" x 22", February 1987. Click for a larger view.

No comments: