Thursday, January 9, 2020

Storm of Ashes - Australia Burns


The trouble with natural and some human-made disasters is that they are so damn beautiful. Flames erupt from volcanoes and wildfires against the dreadful day- dark sky. The media show me what will attract me, which will attract me further. Storm cells, tornadoes, hurricanes, all of them in their killing spirals ask to pose for me, and so I draw and paint. My memory scans the screen without paying the price that the disaster victims pay. They're standing in the dust weeping because they have just lost everything they own. Meanwhile I'm moving through my cluttered studio rooms full of the overload of thirty years of undisastered residence.

Photoshop, 7" x 10", January 9, 2020. Here is a cropped version of the preceding image:


No comments: