Sunday, January 5, 2020

Washington Metro 1997


I used to ride the Washington Metro a lot. The Orange Line, pictured here at a stop, brought me right into DC (with one transfer) so I could go into the museums, Smithsonian, and other attractions of the central Capital City. Nowadays, 23 years later, it is harder to do this because of crowding, difficult street layouts, and the decrepitude of the Metro train system. A taxi ride from my suburb to DC is quite expensive and I reserve my taxi budget for important events. I haven't tried "Uber" or "Lyft," recent happenings with these companies make me nervous. Maybe I should try drawing the urban sites again, but all I get is cars and parking lots where interesting old buildings used to exist. Falls Church advertised itself as "The Little City" but wow, new buildings are going up everywhere and cranes tower overhead. It isn't "little" any more! I love drawing construction sites but these current ones, on a big heavy-traffic road, are way too dangerous to stay and sketch. This town is quickly becoming unrecognizable since the relatively peaceful 1990s.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 8", May-June 1997.

No comments: