Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dark Nebula, Star Clouds



There are places in our Galaxy (and in uncounted others) where the stars are so close together that from a distance they appear to be luminous clouds. And also in our Galaxy and all those others are nebulae of smoky dust which obscure the starlight, and reflect it too. This is what is going on in this astronomical scene. There's a blue star outside the picture frame which is illuminating the dust cloud from below. It's a beautiful universe out there. Acrylic on illustration board, 10" x 8", Summer 1986.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

This has a real water like effect and while it seems a bit "airbrushy" to me, I still like it. I can't do this sort of picture because I hate useing the spatter effect (a perfectly valid technique). I would hand place every single star, and that would be insane!