Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cat Witch Miniature



The art director for my first professional job was Betsy Groban, and her boss at Gregg Press was Tom Beeler, who is currently a newspaper editor in New Hampshire. Betsy asked me to make a nametag miniature for him (I had already made one for her). She said he liked cats and the "Witch World" series of fantasy author Andre Norton, so I should make a miniature inspired by those things. Hence my "Cat Witch" nametag for Tom Beeler. Beeler also commissioned my rendering of Tolkien's city of Minas Tirith, which I posted here this April. The plant in the upper right corner is a "peace lily" (or spathyphyllium), a house plant in my dwelling. I still have the descendants of that plant now, 33 years later.

"Cat Witch" nametag is watercolor and ink on Fabriano paper, 3 1/2" x 2 1/2", Summer 1978.

No comments: