Sunday, September 1, 2013

Return to Vintage Ridge


August has ended and the colors of the Virginia countryside are already shifting into autumn. There is brown and yellow on the ground and in the leaves. The vines are grapeless, as the grapes have been harvested. I revisited Vintage Ridge winery on "Wine Saturday" to sip and draw. You can see the vineyard in my color sketch as well as their gardens. One interesting thing about their landscaping is the fences that enclose the trunks of all their trees. I'm not sure why they do this, perhaps to prevent deer or other critters from damaging the trees. The views from Vintage Ridge are splendid. Every time I go to a vineyard in Virginia I wish I lived there, or at least close to there.

Colored pencil and Pitt brown technical pen, about 8" x 10", August 31, 2013.

No comments: