Friday, September 13, 2013

Shenandoah Shed


This odd little building is a utility shed at Shenandoah Vineyards in Edinburg, Virginia. I visited Shenandoah last year and drew this panorama on site. I took a lot of photographs, too. This drawing was done from one of those photographs. I still feel somewhat guilty for drawing from photographs as the ethic of the "urban sketchers" and "plein air" art movement is that every artwork must be done on site and looking at the original thing. I would have drawn more stuff on the Shenandoah site but I didn't have the time. Meanwhile I assure any plein-air fanatic that the drawing that resulted from the photo image looks exactly like any drawing I would have done on-site, perhaps a bit more precise. But since it was scanned in, I decided to add the color with Photoshop. 

I love tiny architecture but despite its door, picnic table, and attempt at a kind of porch projection, I don't think this shed is big enough even for a hideaway cabin or studio. Unless the inside is bigger than the outside.

Pitt brown ink on sketchbook page, 7" x 4 1/2", September 12, 2013.

No comments: