Monday, February 3, 2014

More Tanith Lee Birthgrave



A while back I posted some of my illustrations from Tanith Lee's "The Birthgrave." In this lurid  Orientalist fantasy, the main character is an alien who has to hide her non-human face with a mask. She is of course scantily clad with lots of boob exposure. It's been a while since I read it, but I think there's plenty of blades and blood as well. I did tiny character portraits in my journal from this and other Tanith books. The books are still in my dusty library along with other vintage fantasy and science fiction. I just finished re-reading the Lin Carter tale that I was going on about a few days ago. Mnadis the sorcerer's slave turned out to be quite the bad girl, concealing one of the Three Talismans of Power and making a big mess with it until the hero's courageous companion sneaks up behind her and puts her to the sword. Heh, who said that heroic fantasy was morally edifying? 

Tanith Lee fantasy character is ink and acrylic watercolor on sketchbook page, about 8" x 3 1/2", January 1981.

No comments: