Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Goddess at "Za"


Another one from my Tanith Lee series in my 1981 sketchbook journal. The main character, still wearing her mask to hide her alien face, marches in a procession of ladies in waiting, also wearing masks. The name of the kingdom is "Za." The breast-baring halter tops and black velvet skirts were described by the author. The main character has some special powers which result in her being considered a goddess. But she's really an alien who is ultimately rescued by her people who  visit her barbaric world in a spaceship and carry her back to her own people. At least I think that's how the story goes, it's been a while since I read it.

"The Goddess at Za" is ink and watercolor on sketchbook page, about 3 1/2" x 5 1/2", January 1981. I seem to be currently picking up my habit from 1981 of making tiny pictures.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

BOOBS!! I mean, wow..this is very striking. I would love to see a full painting of this. The strong graphic feel and the light green against the black and the feathered headdress really make this very strong!