Saturday, April 12, 2014

City of Iridescent Rose


It's a pink world out there, filled with cherry and soon crabapple blossoms, so I have revisited  my city of perfume bottles and painted the town pink. I added in the elevated railway which is being built in my neighborhood. The pink city shines with iridescent surfaces in the spring haze. One structure near the center has a manta-ray-shaped roof accented with malachite. This is a magical city with no traffic jams or pollution. 

Once you assert that there is an inner, magical or "spiritual" world, you can do anything you please in it. You are no longer bound by the laws of matter, energy, or physics. You either have a non-material astral world, or you don't. The closest you can get to the Otherworld's "real existence" is to say that it takes place as a shared virtual world created by human consciousness. And people are real good at making stuff up.

Excuse the metaphysics. Now back to those cherry blossoms and Photoshop. This image started as a little black and white sketch in my journal. I transformed it into colors with Photoshop and added in opaque highlights. It's entirely possible to do the same thing with acrylic, especially if you use an airbrush. And airbrushes are very metaphysical devices, creating astral skies with a whoosh of compressed air.

"City of Iridescent Rose" is about 3.25" x 6", ink on sketchbook page, colorized in Photoshop, April 11, 2014.

1 comment:

Robby Baby Dark Poet of Amour said...

I'd like to see more of something of this nature. You could do a series of different "bottles" with different properties. I even have some ideas for a collaborative effort perhaps... Again, the color scheme here draws me in, and the lines are very organic, flowing. Just like a perfume bottle should be ;)