Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Magical Amazon


Sometime back in the sultry August of 1983 I got two fan friends of mine to pose for me, an athletic, well-endowed woman and her skinny boyfriend. They dressed in minimal attire and posed in my Cambridge, Massachusetts back yard. I paid them money and possibly a bit of art as well. They took just the kind of action poses I wanted for my fantasy pictures. She had the required red hair and large chest and though she was not trained or a "real" fighter she could wield her props in an entertaining fantasy way. This is the origin of the picture for today, "Magical Amazon." There is no story to this piece, only a figure study with some nice colors and special effects. It's one of my better figure pieces, which perhaps is not saying much but she looks better than my usual awkward attempts. Somewhere in my crammed studio are the photos I took of this helpful couple. I wonder where they are now. 

"Magical Amazon" is acrylic on illustration board, 12" x 16", August 1983. It was shown, and sold, at the World Science Fiction Convention in Baltimore, Md. later that month. Click for larger view.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Outstanding work, as usual. I don't know why you are so hard on your figure studies, they always look great to me!