Saturday, August 30, 2014

Vonage at Tysons Mall


"Vonage" is an internet telephone service that makes it easier and cheaper for people to call their families and friends overseas. I drew this Vonage sales booth while I sat in the mall sipping my iced coffee. Friday afternoon and evening is a big crowd scene at the mall and I enjoyed seeing people from every country on earth wandering around shopping and socializing. There were many Arabs, especially women in Islamic hijab and richly embellished garb from their own nations. Whole families shopped together, and there were plenty of children in this international gathering. I have never seen so many Middle Eastern people in this mall in the suburbs of Washington, DC. They all seemed very well off. I am guessing that these are the very affluent elite of various Middle Eastern places who have gathered up their riches and fled the turmoil in their area to stay in America safely. A similar movement brought millions of the Iranian upper class and elite to America in 1979 and 1980 when the Shah was deposed in the revolution. Most of these Iranians never went back home, and settled in the USA and raised the next generation in exile. I wonder whether these new emigrants will ever get home again. At least they can call home with Vonage.

Sociology and international politics aside, I am pleased with my mall drawing and since orange is my favorite color and also the theme color of Vonage, I've added an accent area.

Pitt black technical pen on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", color added in Photoshop, August 29, 2014.

No comments: