Sunday, August 31, 2014

Young Grapevines at Winding Road


I visited "Winding Road Cellars" again on Saturday and did this drawing of one of their new vineyards. The Winding Road folks have optimistically planted acres of new grapevines which will not bear wine-able grapes for 5 years. Some of these grape saplings will not survive, whether killed by harsh weather or eaten by deer or other animals. I hope to document the progress of this new vineyard in sketches. Meanwhile, Winding Road Cellars continues to sell copies of my "Earthly Paradise" winery art book, and I delivered more of them to the vineyard today.

You don't see too many artistic landscapes in overcast light. Especially in August when the trees and grasses have a lot of yellow color, cloudy light either turns green tree colors to a muddy brown or a faded grey. During my drawing session, the clouds thinned and revealed a few sunbeams, which lit up the grassy slope with a brilliant yellow-green that I've tried to capture here.

Colored pencil on sketchbook page, 6" x 5", August 30, 2014.

No comments: